Jan Freeman on preposition dropping

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Mon Sep 10 20:36:37 UTC 2007

At 4:14 PM -0400 9/10/07, Wilson Gray wrote:
>I came across "apropos NP" in the yesterday's Sunday Times and then
>lost it, damn it!
>
>-Wilson

This usage isn't that odd, is it?  I just found one on Nexis, but
from The Observer, not The (NY or London) Times:

The Observer (England)
September 9, 2007
FOOTBALL: COMMENT: Counting cost of Roman's orgy of excess
BYLINE: Paul Wilson

SECTION: OBSERVER SPORT PAGES; Pg. 18
Good to see Gordon Taylor, chief executive of the Professional
Footballers' Association, take an eminently sensible stance on
painkilling injections. 'You shouldn't take risks,' Taylor said,
apropos Steve Gerrard's broken toe. 'I cannot approve of injections.
Managers work in the short term, but I have to see it from the health
and safety aspect.' I hope Rafa Benitez was listening. England might
not have had to spend the week worrying about Gerrard's fitness had
he not played with a jab against Chelsea.

LH