Tangram (now 1809 -- or 1712?) (UNCLASSIFIED)

Mon Sep 10 21:14:02 UTC 2007

Classification:  UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

 [in a classified ad from Caldcleugh and Thomas, Stationers, listing
items for sale]
_Franklin Gazette_; Date: 02-24-1818; Volume: I; Issue: 2; Page: [3];
col 3
 "Chinese Tangrams"
[note:  they also sell "Dissected Maps and Puzzles"; this is relevant
because among puzzle collectors and aficianados, a Tangram is a
Dissection Puzzle]

I think the other, earlier cites may be read as typos for "Trangam" or
"Trangram", rather than specifically meaning the puzzle to which
"Tangram" currently refers (for that matter, the cite I post above may
be such).  But since it is likely that Tangram derived from the other
words, the point at which Tangram assumed its current meaning may not be
easy to find.