Google Books' Biggest Screw-Up Danger?? (UNCLASSIFIED)

Dave Wilton dave at WILTON.NET
Tue Sep 11 01:28:42 UTC 2007

They don't need to open it up to just anybody, but if they formed an
advisory committee of historians, librarians, literature professors,
lexicographers, and other professionals who use Google Books in their
research, that would go a long way.

Then publish the names and professional affiliations of the advisory
committee members. That would enable most professionals to get in touch one
of the committee members and provide input from a wider community. You
needn't publish the contact info, but with a name and affiliation most of us
would be able to get in touch with at least one of the committee members.
(Actually, I suspect that just such an advisory committee exists, but nobody
knows about it.)

Grant's idea of a wiki is a good way to involve a wider community than you
just the advisory committee. Make it an invitation-only thing if they want
to limit who can provide input.

Another idea is to hire an evangelist/ombudsman to receive and filter the
requests from the research community. (If there is one, he/she isn't doing a
very good job.)

None of these are mutually exclusive. Google could (and should) do them all.

I agree the biggest problems are inaccurate metadata and restrictions on
public domain works, but the next biggest problem is the inability to order
search results. In the advanced search page, one should be able to request
that the results be returned in order of most recent first, oldest first,
author's name, title, etc.

If they are really concerned about making ads work, then they should have a
product that people find compelling and useful. That will increase traffic
to the site and make ad space there even more valuable. As it stands now,
Google Books is all but worthless, and you won't get much money for ads on a
worthless site.