X marrying Y <> Y marrying X?

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Tue Sep 11 17:27:26 UTC 2007

At 9/11/2007 10:44 AM, ronbutters at AOL.COM wrote:
>One would think this would have applied to sodomy laws as well, but
>I know of at least 2 cases of consentual sex in which the man was
>found guilty and the woman was not.

This is about asymmetry of punishment with respect to gender.  My
comment and the supposition it responded to were about asymmetry with
respect to race.

There are other examples of gender bias in colonial laws, and
sometimes the penalty was harsher on the woman.  For example, if two
married persons not married to each other had intercourse, the law
(at least in some colonies) said the woman could be charged with
adultery but not the man.  On the other hand, women were often given
less severe corporal punishment.  And there is also a difference
between the results of trials and what the statutes said.  Often --
at least in New England -- the verdict was for a lesser crime than
the facts would warrant, or the sentence was less than the law
required.  The law in Massachusetts required the death penalty for a
child who was disrespectful of its parents, but that was never
imposed; the only child ever convicted of this crime was pardoned
upon the plea of his mother.

Joel