X marrying Y <> Y marrying X?

Dennis Preston preston at MSU.EDU
Thu Sep 13 12:17:53 UTC 2007

I never knew what his/her/its name was either, but I confess I do not
know if, for example, Spanish Jews write "D--s." Or will "Di-s" or
"D-os" do the trick? How can this be taken care of in Chinese?
Anybody out there got this info?

dInIs

>-----------------------
>Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
>Poster:       Charles Doyle <cdoyle at UGA.EDU>
>Subject:      Re: X marrying Y <> Y marrying X?
>
>What is it about those graphic vowels that seems to carry the weight
>of the taboos ("f*ck," "sh*t," etc.)??
>
>I still have an occasional Jewish student who will write the word
>"God" as "G-d."  As if "God" is really the unutterable and
>unwritabale NAME, when H- said H-s name is "- -m" . . .
>
>--Charlie

Dennis R. Preston
University Distinguished Professor
Department of English