beet soup

Sat Sep 15 01:45:35 UTC 2007

I asked my Slavicist friend & colleague, Edna Andrews, about this. She writes, "That change (from shch to shsh) took place  later in the 19th century.  There are some dialects that [have] continued to use the shch,
but shsh was the norm for the entire 20th century."

-----Original Message-----
From: Paul Johnston <paul.johnston at WMICH.EDU>

Date:         Fri, 14 Sep 2007 15:10:28
To:ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject:      Re: [ADS-L] beet soup

My understanding is that (1) there's variation in Russian in the
pronunciation corresponding to this letter; (2) the character written
with the "sh" character is always "hard"--not palatalized vs. the
single-sound pronunciation of the "shch" being "soft".  I know, how
can you palatalize a palato-alveolar?  But what I've heard (in
recordings and so on)--the first one sounds velarized and/or slightly
lip-rounded, lower-pitched, rather like some kinds of  German /S/,
the second one sounds more like a (long) English /S/.

Yours,
Paul Johnston