"come to pass" construed as "cease"?

Stephen Goranson goranson at DUKE.EDU
Sat Sep 15 13:52:01 UTC 2007

BTW, when I posted text from a 1940 book with the sequence of words "fungus
among us" I didn't claim it was slang. I offered no commentary as I thought its
interest, if any, was that it may, or may not, have influenced the creation of
the sentence "there is a fumgus among us"--on the tacit assumption that the
last three words are more remarkable than the first three.)

FWIW, here's a use of "come to pass" that I don't recall encountering before.

In a column in the Duke student paper The Chronicle (7 Sept p15):

....Last year I was a (math) rock star. My sprit was as unrestrained as a matrix
with four columns and just one pivot (for all of you Canadian Studies majors out
there: This means I was exceedingly free-spirited).
Alas, all that has come to pass. The weight of the world of advanced math
courses has crushed my formerly gentle demeanor....

Stephen