or such as = "or such; or the like; or something similar"

Sat Sep 15 15:00:48 UTC 2007

On 9/15/07, Jonathan Lighter <wuxxmupp2000 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> _Fox & Friends_ this a.m.: "Going to the emergency room with a broken arm or such as."
>
>   Emphasis on "as."  This phrase-final "such as" is difficult to Google for.

Well, we recently had a rather notorious public display of
phrase-final "such as", from Caitlin Upton, Miss South Carolina Teen
USA, in her response to a question at the Miss Teen USA pageant:

"I personally believe that U.S. Americans are unable to do so because
some people out there in our nation don't have maps and I believe that
our education--like such as in South Africa and the Iraq
everywhere--like such as."

More here:
http://itre.cis.upenn.edu/~myl/languagelog/archives/004861.html
http://itre.cis.upenn.edu/~myl/languagelog/archives/004882.html