Coiner of "gobbledygook"?; Palestine (East Texas) joke

Barry A. Popik Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sat Sep 15 19:24:14 UTC 2007

Damn! Complete goddledygook! Why does this happen?? I'll re-post using  AOL.

No one goes to this website, but you might want to look here:
_http://www.barrypopik.comhttp://www.barrypopik.com<WBR>/http://www.barrypopik
.com<WBR>_
(http://www.barrypopik.com/index.php/texas/entry/gobbledygook_maury_maverick_wwii_term/)
O.T.: Does anyone on this list from (east) Texas remember any jokes about
the town called Palestine?
_http://www.barrypopik.comhttp://www.barrypopik.com<WBhttp://www.barrypopik.co
mhttp://www.b_
(http://www.barrypopik.com/index.php/texas/entry/where_was_jesus_born_palestine_texas_joke/)

Entry from September 15, 2007
"Where was Jesus born?" (Palestine, Texas joke)

With a city name like Palestine (in East Texas), comparisons and jokes are
inevitable.

_Wikipedia:  Palestine, Texas_
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palestine,_Texas)
Palestine (pronounced ˈpæl.ɛs.tin) is a city in  Anderson County, Texas, in
the United States. As of the 2000 census, the city  population was 17,598. It
is the county seat of Anderson County and is situated  in East Texas.
Palestine was named for Palestine, Illinois, the home of an early  settler.

The largest employer is the Texas Department of Criminal  Justice, which
employs more than 3,900. Another 1,600 work at two Wal-Mart  distribution centers.
Other significant employers include a thriving medical and  healthcare sector
that tends to the large population of retirees. Finally a  distinguishing
mark of Palestine is that it is home to the NASA Columbia  Scientific Balloon
Facility, which has flown 1700 high-altitude balloons for  universities and
research agencies.

_The Waverly Star, by Jim O'Leary_
(http://www.herald-journal.com/waverlystar/issues/ws060201.html)
June 2, 2001
(...)
A pretty town near Uncertain is called "Palestine" (Pop. 18,042). In East
Texas it is pronounced "Pal-Ah-Steen."
(As in the joke about the Sunday  School class which was asked to identify
where Jesus was born. When the preacher  couldn't get any of them to come up
with an answer, he said, "Hit was  Palesteen!" One of the lads in the class said,
"Shoot, I knew hit had to be some  place in East Texas.")

_Google Groups: tx.guns _
(http://groups.google.com/group/tx.guns/browse_thread/thread/f8c036310023b130/bcb652b290eea2f9?lnk=st&q="east+texas"+palestine+"je
sus+born"&rnum=2&hl=en#bcb652b290eea2f9)