Semantic drift: "khaki"

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Sun Sep 16 16:05:12 UTC 2007

Thanks for the clarification, Dave. Wearing a summer uniform in Chicago in February, on the way to S.F., seemed incongruous to me.

  JL

Dave Wilton <dave at WILTON.NET> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: Dave Wilton
Subject: Re: Semantic drift: "khaki"

Yes, I interpret this as a reference to the summer khaki (tan) uniform, not
the green "Class A" uniform. Khakis were often worn with a tie and jacket
("blouse" in army parlance) and the cut would have been almost identical to
the green uniform, differing only in color and weight of material. The use
of "dress" is probably to distinguish it from the green fatigue uniform.
Khakis could be worn when traveling, especially to and from Vietnam. Also,
the Louisville incident doesn't give a date, but if it was in summer it
reinforces the idea that this is the uniform he's describing.

There's an image of the US Vietnam-era khaki uniform on this page:
http://www.merhabaturkey.com/1BARTLEYMindex.html

But while searched Google Images for that, I also ran across this, a Reuters
photo in China Daily of a soldier in camouflage uniform described as wearing
"khaki." Although, at least one of the colors appears to be khaki:
http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/world/2007-04/02/content_841908.htm