old factory < olefactory

Michael H Covarrubias mcovarru at PURDUE.EDU
Mon Sep 17 05:41:49 UTC 2007

In 1988-89 my biology teacher Lloyd Penrod used this as a pun so that we would
remember the nerve that processes odors.

He gave us the whole story about walking by an old factory that smells
funny...[cut to]...we can smell because we have an "ol' factory" nerve.

Of course he made sure to impress upon us that this was a pun and not the actual
name of the nerve. So I guess it wasn't a true eggcorn in that instance.

Michael

Quoting Laurence Horn <laurence.horn at YALE.EDU>:

> At 11:48 AM -0700 9/16/07, Dave Wilton wrote:
> >GILES: He had a specific...olfactory presence.
> >
> >XANDER: So it's off to the old factory. I hate that place...I'm joking. I
> >know what it means. He smelled.
>
> OK, thanks.  I don't really think this particular pun would have been
> part of the trajectory that led to the examples I googled up, e.g.
>
> http://www.bootstrap.org/colloquium/session_08/session_08.html
> I was fascinated by something I read in a science magazine a while
> ago, the old factory system is something that is used to make our
> neurons grow the right place when we are forming. It smells its ways
> to your fingertips. How do we put our factory nodes into this so that
> the neurons will smell their way to the right place?
>
> or
> Either that or hippies smell stuff. Unlike her. She's probably coked
> out her entire old factory system and would probably not smell the
> house burning down,...
>
> I'd guess these are independent reanalyses of "olfactory system"
> rather than references to the exchange from Buffy.  Consider also the
> "old factory nerve":
>
> http://www.celebrity-link.com/videos9/948.html
> Morgan Fairchild plays Satin Chow a glamourous perfume designer who
> must seek out her long lost sisters in order to have an old factory
> nerve transplant to regain her sense of smell in this spoof of
> 'disease of the week' TV movies
>
> LH

   English Language & Linguistics
   Purdue University