pastures anew: eggcorn?

Lynne Murphy m.l.murphy at SUSSEX.AC.UK
Mon Sep 17 13:09:12 UTC 2007

Well, obviously, I didn't know it---which will probably shame me further as
our department is being forced into the English dept this month and I will
be back to explaining to literature people that it doesn't matter that it's
an introductory literature course, I still can't teach it!

Lynne

--On Sunday, September 16, 2007 2:24 pm -0400 Charles Doyle
<cdoyle at UGA.EDU> wrote:

> This past week, in the Milton class I'm teaching, I identified the
> pentameter in "Lycidas" as "one of the most famous lines in all of
> English poetry." My students disagreed--professing complete prior (a few,
> even current!) unfamiliarity with it. O how the canon changes . . . .
>
> "Pastures anew" doesn't even scan well!
>
> --Charlie

Dr M Lynne Murphy
Senior Lecturer in Linguistics and English Language
Arts B135
University of Sussex
Brighton BN1 9QN

phone: +44-(0)1273-678844