Mr. Gadjet?

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Fri Sep 21 15:47:27 UTC 2007

There is the following, from 1915:

gadgetting

The Home of the Blizzard:  Being the story of the Australasian
Antarctic expedition, 1911 - 1914
Sir Douglas Mawson, D.SC., B.E.
London:  William Heinemann 1915 [undated; Author's Preface Autumn 1914]

Vol. I., Chapter v., p. 88

However, by judicious "gadgetting," as the phrase went, they were got
into place.

not in OED2; antedates OED2 s.v. "bus" n.2 -1921

I don't have a fuller context presently, so I can't say what was got
into place -- it might refer to something aboard ship, or something
on a sled, or ... .

Joel