Bush

Tom Zurinskas truespel at HOTMAIL.COM
Fri Sep 21 21:35:05 UTC 2007

I think Pres. Bush's biggest pronunciation nuance is "spellsaying" (saying a letter or letter string in the usual pronunciation for that letter or string) the ending letter "s" for plurals as ~s and none as ~z.  Most would be ~z. I think.

See truespel.com - and the 4 truespel books plus "Occasional Poems" at authorhouse.com.

> Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2007 14:39:13 -0400
> From: David.Donnell at EARTHLINK.NET
> Subject: Re: Bush
> To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU

> Sender: American Dialect Society
> Poster: David Donnell
> Subject: Re: Bush
>
> Don't know what details CNBC described, but I've frequently heard
> Bush use contrasting pronunciations of the word "war". He switches
> between pronouncing it as "wore", and pronouncing it to rhyme with
> "far".
>
> I consider the former the more std, more ubiqitous pronunciation; I
> associate the latter with parts of the midwest & Texas.
> (Corrections/more info welcome.)
>
> But I'm also curious about what CNBC described.
>
> DD
> Missourian in NYC
>
>>Sender: American Dialect Society
>>Poster: Charles Doyle
>>Subject: Bush
>>
>>I didn't watch or listen to the president's press conference
>>yesterday (I'm not a masochist!). But late last night I heard a
>>commentator on CNBC talking about it. He noted that, at one
>>particularly tense moment, Bush lost his infamous emulation of
>>TexSpeak and reverted to his native New England dialect. I wonder
>>what details the commentator was observing, phonologically speaking?
>>
>>--Charlie

More photos; more messages; more whatever – Get MORE with Windows Live™ Hotmail®. NOW with 5GB storage.