antedating of "jib-boom" (1741-43)

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Mon Sep 24 20:09:25 UTC 2007

Since I had found "flying jib" in a 1736 Boston newspaper (not yet
submitted to OED), I just checked Early American Newspapers.

American Weekly Mercury, Feb. 11, 1723/4, page 4, probably col
1:  "... during which Time they plundered the said Sloop and took of
her Cargo as follows. Flying Jib, Flying Jib Boom, Flying Jib and
Main Halliards, ... and several other things which the said Pirates
thought fit..."

Joel