Stoop in DARE

Nadia Pazolis-Gabriel nadpaz3 at GMAIL.COM
Tue Sep 25 02:53:57 UTC 2007

Dear all,

A faithful reader of this wonderful listserv until last year, I got too busy
with school and work and had to unscubscribe.
Today, I'm back on the list to satisfy my curiosity!

I am a graduate student in Library Science. In my Reference class, we are
currently studying encyclopedias and dictionaries.
The teacher asked us a tricky question about the regional use of a word:

"Where in the US is the word "stoop" popularly used to mean a porch?"

We students all had DARE in mind.
Little did we know: There's no volume 5 yet - so, no way to look up the
entry for "stoop" - and the entry at "porch" doesn't help much.

My husband told me "Oh, in Buffalo we used stoop for porch!"

Could someone tell us what DARE would say?

Thank you!

Nadia Gabriel

**