Having cake . . .

Charles Doyle cdoyle at UGA.EDU
Tue Sep 25 13:10:57 UTC 2007

What a cool little article in the Language Log, Ben!

To nudge back the American dating a little--and note a couple of additional early American examples--there's this from B. J. Whiting's _Early American Proverbs and Proverbial Phrases_ (Harvard UP, 1977), #C8:

1742.  "Would you (like the Child) cry to have your Cake, that you had eaten."

1781.  "There was another Set of Men . . . who having ate their Cake & being turned away, cried to have their Cake again."

1812.  "We cannot have our cake and eat it too."

--Charlie