Who are you and what have you done with...

Tue Sep 25 21:31:24 UTC 2007

On 9/25/07, Baker, John <JMB at stradley.com> wrote:

>         It's got to be older than this.  I can remember using it in the
> 1980s.
>
>         For a nonhumorous use, the Miami Herald (via Westlaw) has from
> 1/1/1985:  "Through my last seven or eight telephone numbers I've been
> periodically called by the same screeching woman who keeps asking for
> somebody named Francisco. She grows increasingly accusatory. "Who are
> you?" she snarls. "What have you done with Francisco?""

Here's another nonhumorous use, from _Metamorphosis (Star Trek: The
Next Generation)_ (1990) by Jean Lorrah:

-----
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.arts.startrek/msg/b2505d3edcefe5c5
Author:         Jean Lorrah
First Printing: March 1990
ISBN:           0-671-68402-7
Front Inside Cover Text:
"INTRUDER ALERT! SECURITY TO TRANSPORTER ROOM THREE!"
Data was too stunned to get a word out before two guards appeared,
phasers trained on him. With the guards flanking him, O'brien stalked
forward. "Who are you?" he demanded. "What have you done with Commander
Data?"
"I am Commander Data," Data said evenly.
[etc.]
-----

--Ben Zimmer