Finally!

Dennis Preston preston at MSU.EDU
Thu Sep 27 11:48:27 UTC 2007

Wilson,

"Your (his, her, my, their,) ass(es)" for persons is very familiar
usage to me. I have not thought about some of the restrictions on it
but they go from the nearly proverbial for me ("Get your ass out of
here") to the less familiar but oddly acceptable "How's your ass?" I
am also more fond of some of the short expressions with modifier
support - "How's your silly ol' ass doin these days, mother-fucker?"
sounds mighty normal to me, and I sure I've said just that (only to
close friends of course).

I've come late to this and perhaps the article LH and arnold mention
deals with some of these preferences. Unless I  misremember, body
parts for human beings is pretty well dealt with in the pidgin-creole
literature, it being a mainstay of some Caribbean English Creole
usages. I'll have to go back and look at some of that stuff since I'm
pretty sure it's more widespread and is there in the anthroling lit
too.

dInIs