"Fuddle", meaning sexual congress

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Sat Sep 29 15:30:30 UTC 2007

Maybe they sold the bell and drank up the proceeds?

  JL

"Dennis R. Preston" <preston at MSU.EDU> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: "Dennis R. Preston"

Subject: Re: "Fuddle", meaning sexual congress

I wonder if this is not a misplacement in the=20
Scottish Nationl Dictionary. It is the last entry=20
for "fuddle" (to get drunk on, etc...) but the=20
next entry (for "crumpled") is perhaps a more=20
likely sense of the bell quote. See below.

dInIs

=DD2. tr. To get drunk on, to drink the price or=20
proceeds of. Also to spend (time) in drinking.
*Abd. 1845 P. Still Cottar's Sunday 48:
[He] aften left his hame to fuddle Days, an' weeks, an' months awa.
*Edb. 1851 A. Maclagan Sketches 182:
Ye're like a house without its thack, An' yet ye'll fuddle ilka plack!
*Gsw. 1868 J. Young Poems 79:
The vera coals ye've ta'en, Mary, An' fuddl't them aff haun.
*Sc. 1904 in R. Ford Vagabond Songs 217:
They hangit their minister, droon'd their=20
precentor, Dang doun the steeple, and fuddled the=20
bell.
=DD3. To crumple, crush.
*Sc. 1696 True Relation of an Apparition in Rerrick 10:
She . . . found seven small bones . . . all=20
closed in a piece of Old fuddled Paper.

Dennis R. Preston
University Distinguished Professor
Department of English