Probably too late, now

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Sat Sep 29 20:41:58 UTC 2007

Well, until someone comes up with a phonological analysis of English
that can account for the occurrence of [-rkt-], its occurrence is a
spelling pronunciation that I choose to ignore. [artIk]: that's my
pronunciation and I'm sticking with it. Of course, f I were under
seventeen instead of over seventy, I'd probably be more flexible.
Indeed, I probably wouldn't even care. I'd just go with the spelling
that would get me the highest GPA and use my spare cognitive energy
for fantasizing about girls.

-Wilson

On 9/29/07, Jonathan Lighter <wuxxmupp2000 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: Probably too late, now
>
> Merely as a point of interest: the Century Dictionary of 1889 already recognized only the
>   "c-ful"  pronunciation.
>
>   But Arnold's info persuades me to revert.
>
>   JL
>
> "Arnold M. Zwicky" <zwicky at CSLI.STANFORD.EDU> wrote:

-----
                                              -Sam'l Clemens