Little Italy, &c. & the Mayor of where-ever

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Tue Apr 1 18:40:47 UTC 2008

"Little Africa," huh? Better than "Niggertown" or "Darktown," I
suppose. Back in the day, we called the area  where we hung out in the
college lunchroom "Little Harlem," this being in Saint Louis. This led
to our calling the white area of the lunchroom "Little Manhattan," the
geography of The City being about as well-known as that of the dark
side of the moon.

-Wilson

On Sun, Mar 30, 2008 at 11:08 PM, George Thompson
<george.thompson at nyu.edu> wrote:
>  Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
>  Poster:       George Thompson <george.thompson at NYU.EDU>
>  Subject:      Little Italy, &c. & the Mayor of where-ever
>
>  I recently took the notion to wonder when neighborhoods primarily occupied by some particular ethnic group were first called "Little Italy" and so forth.  That lead to wondering about the practice of calling a person who is particularly popular or influential in a neighborhood or on a block "the Mayor" of that place: "the Mayor of Little Italy" or "the Mayor of Bleecker street" or the like.
>
>  But first, a digression on "Chinatown".  Readex's Early American newspapers had a regrettable penchant for mistaking "Charlestown" for "Chinatown" -- they both begin with a Ch and end with a "town", and as Mr. Readex likes to say, that's close enough for jazz.  There were far fewer false matches in Gale's 19th Century American Newspapers.  But in the end, I couldn't beat the OED's 1857.
>
>  1857:   . . . he found that it had mysteriously disappeared, and forthwith accused all Chinatown of the larceny. . . .
>         Daily Globe (San Francisco), April 17, 1857,
>
>  1861:   Fossil Remains near Chinatown, N. T.  [Nevada Territory; footprints resembling those of a moose, in sandstone; made more than a thousand years ago]
>         Daily Evening Bulletin, (San Francisco, CA) Wednesday, November 13, 1861
>
>  1886:   Chinatown, that small section embraced by Chatham square, Mott, Pell and Park streets; Little Italy, in Mott, Mulberry and Crosby streets; the Polish Jew quarter, in the region of Ridge and Eldridge streets, east of the Bowery; and, not the least interesting, the negro quarter in the classic shades of Thompson street, and extending round about into Bleecker, Mercer, South Fifth avenue and Greene.
>         The Washington Post, August 15, 1886. p. 6, cols. ?-?
>
>  I found "the Mayor of Chinatown" from the late 1870s, but it seems that he really was elected to his position, which evidently was as spokesman for the community.  Probably Chuck Connor was the first "Mayor of Chinatown" in the sense I have in mind -- from the mid or late 1890s.
>
>  1913:   "CHUCK" CONNORS DIES ON BOWERY; Pneumonia Ends Career of the Famous Chinatown Guide and Inventor of Slang.  WAS SIXTY-FIVE YEARS OLD.  Known as Mayor of Chinatown -- Chinese Merchants Will Give Him a Big Funeral
>         New York Times, May 11, 1913, p. 3
>
>  Others:
>  Little Africa:
>
>  1885:   The French colony, which is very small compared to that of the Germans, is situated below Washington Square, in and about Bleecker street and very near to "Little Africa," where the colored people reside.
>         Dallas Morning News, November 25, 1885, page 6, app. copying an article by George [illegible] Lathrop, published by the St. Louis Republican.
>
>  1886:   The Black and Tan is the "toughest," taking all in all, dive in Little Africa.
> [...]

-----
 -Sam'l Clemens