yahoo (was: 'Top Words from 2007'...)

sagehen sagehen at WESTELCOM.COM
Tue Apr 1 21:49:43 UTC 2008

on 4/1/08 1:40 PM, Tom Zurinskas at truespel at HOTMAIL.COM wrote:

> Of interest here is that no one has heard of the pronunciaton YAH-hoo as the
> majority form, even though that's the way the yahoo.com pronounces it.  Very
> very strange.
>
> Tom Zurinskas,
Hunh?  I've never heard "yahoo" in the Swiftean sense & its derivatives
pronounced any other way than YAH-hoo. Furthermore, in my experience, the
"yippee!" sense is far less-used than the ignorant oaf sense.
Who remembers how the pilot that rode the bomb down at the end of Dr.
Strangelove pronounced it (if that was the word he used)?
AM