dialects in movies

urszula majchrzak umajchrzak at GMAIL.COM
Tue Apr 1 22:22:22 UTC 2008

Thank you very much for taking your time to answer my e-mail in so much
detail :-)...
I'm actually trying to look at dialects as perceived mostly by Americans (or
people able to detect even slight traces of a regional dialect/accent). The
interesting claim that I came upon was that movie producers (movies)
reinforce stereotypes of people from some regions by choosing certain
dialects to depict specific traits of personality (stock characters)... It's
probably clearly visible in animated movies but I think there are plenty
examples in other genres as well...
I'm trying to make up a list of movies that make an abundant use of
dialects... I know the WW II movies should have a lot of stereotypical usage
of dialects but I'm looking for more clues as to specific movies that would
be valuable in this respect. I'm also wondering if it's a thing of the past
and doesn't happen in "politically correct" movie industry these days, or
it's still a noticeable phenomenon...
Thank you for your help!

-Ula