"drive-by shooting"--- query from National Geographic research editor

Herb Stahlke hfwstahlke at GMAIL.COM
Wed Apr 2 04:20:30 UTC 2008

In our Lutheran congregation, we have two ways of managing the Eucharist.
One, the traditional method, has the people kneel at a railing around the
altar where they are served first bread and then wine.  The other method
involves intinction, dipping the bread in a chalice of wine.  With this
method, the servers stand at the front of the chancel with a platen of bread
and a chalice.  The communicants walk by the servers and are given the
elements as they pass by, dipping the bread in the wine.  This latter method
is sometimes referred to as "drive-by communion."  The first time I heard
the term was from a visitor from another congregation who disapproved and
used the phrase derisively.  Since then it's been picked up by members and
used either humorously or just as a neutral compound noun.  The fact that it
came into our congregation from the outside about four years ago suggests
that "drive-by" has a wider usage.

Herb