Camels vs. dromedaries?

David A. Daniel dad at POKERWIZ.COM
Fri Apr 4 13:27:57 UTC 2008

Here in Rio de Janeiro our moon does not lie. (Also, traditionally, we don't
see a man, we see a rabbit in the moon.) A good illustration of the C and D
of the matter can be seen here
http://www.menstruation.com.au/astrology/southern.html (!) and you can
toggle between Northern and Southern Hemisphere views. I was about to wax
effusive on the usage vs. etymology aspects of crescent but my available
time was decrescent and passion waned.
DAD

At 11:59 PM -0400 4/3/08, Michael Covarrubias wrote:
>Ah better -- I'd not heard that half of it.
>
>But then some semantic shift has gotten in the way of it working
>perfectly. Crescent is used to describe the moon before the first
>quarter -- when it's waxing crescent -- and also after the third quarter
>-- once it's waning crescent.

I was using "crescent" in the etymological sense = 'growing'.  As you
say, somewhere along the way, we (they) started to call the
decrescent (3/4) moon phase "crescent" too, which makes it less
obvious that the moon is lying.

>So when it's 'C' it *is* crescent.
>
>Waning Crescent. Maybe that one will end up next to 'jumbo shrimp' in
>all those email forwards that say our language is impossible to
>understand because of the oxymorons.

Indeed, but then again we do refer to things growing smaller.  Or
maybe this just shows once again that if you keep repeating a lie
often enough (especially if you're a heavenly body), people end up
believing it.

LH