Camels vs. dromedaries?

Brenda Lester alphatwin2002 at YAHOO.COM
Fri Apr 4 14:21:01 UTC 2008

well, shakespeare did write that the moon was inconstant.

  :/
  bl

Mark Mandel <thnidu at GMAIL.COM> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: Mark Mandel
Subject: Re: Camels vs. dromedaries?

In the northern hemisphere the moon looks (sort of) like a D while
growing from new to full, and like a C while shrinking from full to
new. C is the first letter of "crescens", Latin 'growing' and source
of "crescent", while D is the initial of "decrescens" 'shrinking'.
Therefore the moon is a liar.

Well, it works if you're a northern-hemisphere classicist.

m a m

On Thu, Apr 3, 2008 at 10:17 PM, Joel S. Berson wrote:
> At 4/3/2008 04:02 PM, Laurence Horn wrote:
> >At 2:49 PM -0400 4/3/08, Mark Mandel wrote:
> >>FWIW, I could never remember which of the Bactrian and dromedary was
> >>which, till I looked at the capital B and capital D sideways.
> >>
> >>Mark Mandel
> >Aha. So camels always tell the truth, unlike the moon, which always lies.
>
> Well, I'm going through an eclipse, and in the dark on this apothegm.
>
> Joel

Mark Mandel