British accent stereotypes - 'news'

Doug Harris cats22 at FRONTIERNET.NET
Fri Apr 4 16:16:46 UTC 2008

This (BBC story) strikes me as a slow-news-day story -- not least because
the _fact_ of you-are-how-you-speak in Britain (as elsewhere) is SO obvious
to, well to _everyone_ there.
And though many alive there today aren't old enough to recall it, there
was the then-highly-popular (in the '70's) TV commercial for, I believe,
Dubonnet, featuring a drop-dead-gorgeous girl who left a _totally_ different
impression when she opined, in a very cockney tone, "nois 'er, innit?" to
a male admirer.
BTW, I was pleased to learn via these posts of the term 'estuary English'
to describe the rather unpleasant, to my ear, accent that is seemingly
taking over, particularly in southern England, today.
dh