Barry Popik namecheck

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Sat Apr 5 17:21:16 UTC 2008

The ancient Romans used a variation of this naming method. No doubt
everyone here recalls Quintus, i.e. "Fifth," Tullius Cicero, one of
Caesar's generals and Marcus Tullius Cicero's younger brother. The
Romans had no names for women at all, only feminine ordinal numerals
and their nicknominal and diminutive variants, for example,
"Priscilla," a nickname based on "Prima," i.e. "First (Daughter)."

-Wilson

On Sat, Apr 5, 2008 at 9:57 AM, Dave Wilton <dave at wilton.net> wrote:
>  Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
>  Poster:       Dave Wilton <dave at WILTON.NET>
>
> Subject:      Re: Barry Popik namecheck
>
>  No, the "8" is not a misprint. She's a regular reporter on the NYT staff.
>
>  Her parents are from Taiwan, where evidently it is somewhat common to add
>  numerical characters to names. See
>  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jennifer_8._Lee.
>
>  She is also credited with coining the term "man date," referring to a social
>  engagement between two heterosexual men.
>  (http://www.wordspy.com/words/mandate.asp)

-----
 -Sam'l Clemens