yahoo

Scot LaFaive slafaive at GMAIL.COM
Sat Apr 5 21:55:10 UTC 2008

I believe what Dennis was confused (or downright pissed) about was
your use of "phoneme" when talking about "~or" because "~or" is not a
phoneme at all but two distinct allophones. Essentially, phonemes are
in your head and allophones are the actual production of phonemes in
specific environments. I don't know of any other definitions for
phoneme and allophone that phonologists use, so I'm not sure what you
mean by "search engines give several definitions." I think I'll go
with what phonologists mean by phoneme and allophone instead of Google
and Yahoo.

Scot