Roman numerals (was Re: Barry Popik namecheck)

Mark Mandel thnidu at GMAIL.COM
Mon Apr 7 15:24:55 UTC 2008

The subtractive method is only used to subtract the unit from the five of
the same order of magnitude or from the next order of magnitude:
 IV
 IX
 XL
 XC
 CD
 CM
and then that's appended to whatever higher-order terms are in there.

m a m