Voiceless vowels in English

Herb Stahlke hfwstahlke at GMAIL.COM
Tue Apr 8 19:13:47 UTC 2008

English voiceless vowels get confused with aspirated fortis stops.  English
fortis stops aspirate if they are initial in stressed syllables, as in
[phat] vs. [spat] or the [p] [rEp at thISn].  In unstressed syllables, schwa
devoices between voiceless obstruents.  So the schwas in "between,"
"Detroit," "surprise," "Chicago," etc. are all devoiced.  Initial lenis
obstruents are voiceless in English and so the schwa also devoices.

Herb