assanine--a new eggcorn?

Herb Stahlke hfwstahlke at GMAIL.COM
Wed Apr 9 02:47:55 UTC 2008

No dispute over _asinus_ as the source for "asinine," although it's more
likely _asininus_, a minor quibble.  For that subgroup of Christian
fundamentalists wedded to the KJV because of the Textus Receptus argument,
certainly the "donkey" ~ "ass" synonymy can be assumed.  Even for the small
percentage of Americans sufficiently familiar with Shakespeare.  But the OED
and AHD4 agree that "ass" is probably from Celtic via Old Northumbrian,
showing up in the Lindisfarne Gospels (OED).  AHD4 appears to be a bit more
certain the the OED in getting the Celtic form from Latin _asinus_.  It is
because of the "ass" - "fool" link that I first thought of "ass{a/i}nine" as
an eggcorn.  It's similar in structure to "awkword," and "higherarchy."
Actually, going through the eggcorn list, it's hard to find many like
"assinine" in which one non-morpheme part of word is replaced by a morpheme
without changing the rest of the word.  Perhaps these three words are better
examples of folk etymology than of eggcorns.

Herb