[Fine] dinering

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Wed Apr 9 21:19:49 UTC 2008

Boston Globe, 2001 April 12, Calendar, p. 6 (probably the "Cheap
Eats" article, but I have not viewed the page).

[headline]  Dedicated to "fine dinering"

[in article]  Levy and his crew call this lively place "fine
dinering," which makes you think they're having fun.

I have no idea about when "dinering" originated, and have not tried
to trace instances from the 900-odd seen by Google, several of which
refer to this same Watertown, Mass. diner.  One Google hit, at
Sagejournals Online, http://chr.sagepub.com/cgi/pdf_extract/7/3/45,
allegedly is from 1971:  "Bias in the study of modern China in the West",
Uberoi China Report.1971; 7: 45-48, but is only available by subscription.

Joel