WOTY candidate: schadenfreude

JAMES A. LANDAU Netscape. Just the Net You Need. JJJRLandau at NETSCAPE.COM
Thu Apr 10 22:12:05 UTC 2008

WOTY candidate: “schadenfreude”.  It’s been around for a while (MWCD10 says 1895) but in the last month it has emerged from obscurity into numerous news stories. (about 1,250,000 hits on Google) In fact I even found a pun on the word:

http://www.economist.com/world/na/displaystory.cfm?story_id=10961825

"It is hardly surprising, then, that the country is enjoying a fit of Spitzenfreude—and that Wall Street's trading floors are decorated with photoshopped pictures of him cavorting with bodacious babes in various states of undress. Some people have even attributed the markets' mid-week bounce to glee over Mr Spitzer, rather than to the $200 billion shovelled their way by the Fed."

Also please note the use of “Photoshop” as a verb (and not even capitalized).  About 1,610,000 hits on Google for "photoshopped" and about 889,000 for "photoshopping"

http://www.economist.com/world/na/displaystory.cfm?story_id=10961825
has this archaic but vivid metaphor:

“A cavalcade of senior Democrats, including senators Patrick Leahy and Chris Dodd, have advised Mrs Clinton to retire to her room with a glass of whisky and a loaded revolver.”

Aside to Wilson Gray:  FYI, Grant Barrett has installed a Trojan Horse on your computer that randomly selects a certain percentage of your e-mails to your friend Dr. Sugar to be sent to the ADS List.  \

If you don’t believe me, then I suggest you start sending canned lunch meat to Dr. Ronald Sugar, who is the President of Northrop-Grumman, and see how many of them show up on ADS-L.

           James A. Landau
           test engineer
           Northrop-Grumman Information Technology
           8025 Black Horse Pike, Suite 300