WOTY candidate: schadenfreude

David Bowie db.list at PMPKN.NET
Sat Apr 12 14:01:49 UTC 2008

From:    Amy West <medievalist at W-STS.COM>
> From:    Laurence Horn <laurence.horn at YALE.EDU>

>> Would an embarrassing new revelation about the=20
>> founder of psychoanalysis give the rest of us=20
>> Sigmun(d)freude or Freudenfreude?

> Didn't Beethoven write a song about "Freudenfreude"? ;-)

I thought the song was actually written by Friedrich Schiller.

(Smiley noted, of course--but Schiller deserves some credit. I've often
wondered what it would have been like to know during your own life that
you were your language's *second*-greatest writer.)

--
David Bowie                               University of Central Florida