"Like" abuse redivivus

Dennis Preston preston at MSU.EDU
Sat Apr 12 17:39:31 UTC 2008

But "I want like a dictionary" does not have the grammatical shape
that would allow the interpretation "I want something like a
dictionary." Sometimes purists are just plain old pains in the ass
(or should that be pain in the asses).

dInIs

>-----------------------
>Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
>Poster:       George Thompson <george.thompson at NYU.EDU>
>Subject:      Re: "Like" abuse redivivus
>
>A former colleague in the reference room, a purist and an arrant
>pain in the ass -- I admired him for it, of course -- if a student
>said "I want , like, a dictionary of literary criticism", would
>reply, "do you want a book that's like a dictionary, or do you want
>a dictionary?"
>
>For my part, at least once I was posed a question by a fashionably
>inarticulate student that contained the highest possible ratio of
>"like" to substance words.  I completely lost track of the sense of
>the question, and had to ask him to say it again, without the
>"likes".
>I too want to be a pain in the ass whenever possible, but this was a
>case of necessity.
>
>GAT
>
>George A. Thompson
>Author of A Documentary History of "The African Theatre",
>Northwestern Univ. Pr., 1998, but nothing much lately.

Dennis R. Preston
University Distinguished Professor
Department of English
Morrill Hall 15-C