"Like" abuse redivivus

Dennis Preston preston at MSU.EDU
Sun Apr 13 15:54:57 UTC 2008

This extraction is very interesting. When we did our MSU study we
inserted "like" into every possible slot in a fairly simple sentence
("My friend was in my room the other night") and found that native
speakers of focus "like" (no quotatives here of course) preferred it
at major constituent boundaries, but hated it at the end.
Interestingly, they didn't really care for any of them, in spite of
the fact that they were asked to judge them from their own usage
rather than any prescriptive norms, but they couldn't shake the
stigma. An undergrad class that did the collecting was amazed and
said that their friends (many of whom they collected from) were liars.

Looks like all that pissing and moaning about inarticulateness is
having some influence, at least overtly on attitude if not on usage.

dInIs

>-----------------------
>Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
>Poster:       Jonathan Lighter <wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM>
>Subject:      Re: "Like" abuse redivivus
>
>As usual, the reality is worse than one would have thought....
>
>   JL
>
>Neal Whitman <nwhitman at AMERITECH.NET> wrote:
>   ---------------------- Information from the mail header
>-----------------------
>Sender: American Dialect Society
>Poster: Neal Whitman
>Subject: Re: "Like" abuse redivivus
>
>Alex D'Arcy has done some really interesting work on 'like', both the
>discourse-marker variety and the 'be like' variety. Her dissertation
>(http://www.ling.canterbury.ac.nz/personal/darcy/web%20documents/DArcy%20LIKE%2005%20ab.htm)
>shows discourse-marker 'like' steadily expanding its range of syntactic
>categories it can attach to, generation by generation. Check the rest of her
>CV for other material on 'like'.
>
>An interesting change in the syntax of both 'like' and 'be like' that I've
>noticed in my own kids is that they can extract the material following it.
>That is, they can say things such as, "I was like, just about to win, is
>what I was like,' and "He was like, 'Why'd you do that?' That's what he was
>like, Daddy." More on that here:
>http://agoraphilia.blogspot.com/2004/04/ooh-baby-you-know-what-im-like.html
>
>Neal Whitman
>Email: nwhitman at ameritech.net