Yahoo! -- Band Leader

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Mon Apr 14 19:33:36 UTC 2008

Were any dates provided? I've never heard of Dorothy Collins and
Raymond Scott, but I have heard of Frank Sinatra and Axel Stordahl. I
have recordings from the 'Forties, featuring The Voice, as he was
known before he became 'Ol' Blue Eyes," singing his original themes
songs, "Put Your Dreams Away" and "Nancy (Jr.) With the Laughing
Face," backed by Axel Stordahl and the Lucky Strike Orchestra.

Remember when Arturo Toscanini was the conductor of the NBC Symphony Orchestra?

-Wilson

On Mon, Apr 14, 2008 at 8:48 AM, Doug Harris <cats22 at frontiernet.net> wrote:
>  Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
>  Poster:       Doug Harris <cats22 at FRONTIERNET.NET>
>  Subject:      Re: Yahoo! -- Band Leader
>
>  By unfortunate coincidence, the answer, or at least part of it, is
>  provided in today's NY Times
>  (http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9C03E4DB123EF930A15754C0A962
>  958260) in a story reporting the death last week of Dorothy Collins, who
>  sang on Your Hit Parade show.
>  Raymond Scott is described there as the band leader for the YHP show, and
>  later the orchestra leader for an NBC Hit Parade show.
>  dh
>  on 4/13/08 10:31 PM, Wilson Gray at hwgray at GMAIL.COM wrote:
>
>  > Has anyone else os sufficient maturity noticed the use of the phrase,
>  > "lucky-strike extra," in a recent Yahoo! commercial. Back in the
>  > 'Forties and early 'Fifties, Lucky Strike cigarettes sponsored a radio
>  > and, later, a television show featuring the seven most popular songs
>  > of the week. When a song out of the top seven was sung or played (Axel
>  > Stordahl & The Lucky Strike Orchestra!), it was called a "Lucky Strike
>  > extra."
>  >
>  > -Wilson
>  > --