Yahoo! -- Band Leader

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Tue Apr 15 02:39:51 UTC 2008

Frankie recorded the song in honor of Nancy, Jr., when she was but a
tad, back in the 'Forties, when her dad was the featured singer on
Your Hit Parade and Axel led the Lucky Strike Orchestra. I don't
recall Ms. Collins, but I do recall Snookie Lanson, Giselle MacKenzie,
and June Valli. The name, Russell Arms, doesn't ring a bell, either.

BTW, back in those days, Philip Morris used "Along The Trail," from
Ferd Grofé's Grand Canyon Suite as its theme song. All radio shows
sponsored by Philip Morris, e.g. "Dr. Ordway, The Crime Doctor," had
it as their theme song.

-Wilson

On Mon, Apr 14, 2008 at 3:53 PM, Doug Harris <cats22 at frontiernet.net> wrote:
>  Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
>  Poster:       Doug Harris <cats22 at FRONTIERNET.NET>
>  Subject:      Re: Yahoo! -- Band Leader
>
>  From that NY Times article:
>  As a featured singer on "Your Hit Parade" from 1950 to 1957, Miss Collins
>  was America's singing sweetheart, noted for her trademark high-necked
>  blouses and such standard songs as "Too Young," "Shrimp Boats" and "Harbor
>  Lights." The show was the television version of the long-running radio
>  program "Lucky Strike Hit Parade" and featured the top tunes of the week
>  performed by the show's cast in a variety of costumes and settings. Other
>  members of the cast during Miss Collins's time included Snooky Lanson,
>  Gisele MacKenzie, June Valli and Russell Arms.
>
>  Re Toscanini, I don't know for sure if I remember that from the time he
>  was, but I surely remember it from recently thereafter. ;)
>  And I remember Nancy better from when she had boots made for walking.
>  But I don't recall hearing of Axel Stordahl.
>  I saw Frank once, with Sammy, at the old (but not the original!) Madison
>  Square Garden. This was about the time he shoulda oughta of _stayed_
>  retired!
>  dh
>
>  ------------
>

> Wilson Gray wrote:
>
>  Were any dates provided? I've never heard of Dorothy Collins and
>  Raymond Scott, but I have heard of Frank Sinatra and Axel Stordahl. I
>  have recordings from the 'Forties, featuring The Voice, as he was
>  known before he became 'Ol' Blue Eyes," singing his original themes
>  songs, "Put Your Dreams Away" and "Nancy (Jr.) With the Laughing
>  Face," backed by Axel Stordahl and the Lucky Strike Orchestra.
>
>  Remember when Arturo Toscanini was the conductor of the NBC Symphony
>  Orchestra?
>
>  -Wilson
>
>  On Mon, Apr 14, 2008 at 8:48 AM, Doug Harris <cats22 at frontiernet.net> wrote:
>  > ---------------------- Information from the mail header
>  -----------------------
>  >  Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
>  >  Poster:       Doug Harris <cats22 at FRONTIERNET.NET>
>  >  Subject:      Re: Yahoo! -- Band Leader
>  >
>  ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
>  ---
>  >
>  >  By unfortunate coincidence, the answer, or at least part of it, is
>  >  provided in today's NY Times
>  >
>  (http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9C03E4DB123EF930A15754C0A962
>  >  958260) in a story reporting the death last week of Dorothy Collins, who
>  >  sang on Your Hit Parade show.
>  >  Raymond Scott is described there as the band leader for the YHP show, and
>  >  later the orchestra leader for an NBC Hit Parade show.
>  >  dh
> [...]

-----
 -Sam'l Clemens