Standard US English Dialect?

Dennis Preston preston at MSU.EDU
Tue Apr 15 07:54:07 UTC 2008

/uw/ frontIng among the young is often not a good regional cue since
it often is a (sometimes lexically restricted) example of Valley Girl
fronting. /ow/ fronting is a good midland indicator but everybody in
the back get to the front is a good southern indicator. Since
Maryland sits right there between mid and south, such fronting would
not be strange; whether it carries over into DC speech (whatever that
is) is an interesting question.

dInIs