wrong English

Wed Apr 16 14:53:03 UTC 2008

I wasn't being clever. I discussed the fatuousness of the claim that the example TZ cites is a "mispronunciation" in an earlier e-mail, which TZ has totally ignored.

Slips of the tongue are mispronunciations. Nonce pronunciations that most speakers do not use are mispronunciations (eg, pronouncing the place name "Tulum" to rhyme with "cull 'em"). As numerous people have pointed out here many times, established dialect variants are not mispronunciations.

A "strange character problem"?
Well ...

-----Original Message-----
From: Tom Zurinskas <truespel at hotmail.com>

Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2008 13:59:57
To:<ronbutters at aol.com>
Subject: RE: wrong English

 Looks like you've fixed the strange character problem Ron.  Good for you!

 Cleverly you left off the example I gave of mispronouncing a persons name as Don Hockins when it's Dawn Hawkins.  And I ask a question about that, not stating a position.

 So tell us.  Is there ever a mispronunciation about any word at any time, and what qualifies it as such?  Is there no such thing as a mispronunciation?

See truespel.com - and the 4 truespel books plus "Occasional Poems" at authorhouse.com.