Standard US English Dialect?

Doug Harris cats22 at FRONTIERNET.NET
Wed Apr 16 15:21:13 UTC 2008

I recall a few months back (or a few before that) someone who popped up here
posted, over a few days, a string of _very_ insulting comments directed at
specific members of the list, and, if I recall correctly, at the list in
general.
The advice then was to ignore the poster, who could be expected to cease and
desist once he wasn't drawing return comments.
'Worked then; might work now.
I know that I, for one, have heard all about truespel (why not 'truspel'?)
that I care to, or need to.
dh
==============
ronbutters at AOL.COM
Subject:      Re: Standard US English Dialect?
I'm not sure just what the terms of service are for this list-serv, but it
seems to me that this person here goes beyond the limits of what one would
expect the rules to be. This message is just a string of insults and
gratuitous whining. There is no intellectual engagement, nothing about
language, and what appears to be deliberate misunderstanding of what others
have posted (eg, the clear irony of Preston's title "Where the worst English
is spoken" has been pointed out here).

I am not objecting to permitting his continued postings that present
ridiculous points of view about language. I do protest messages that are
pure insults, & I request that TZ be warned.

From: Tom Zurinskas <truespel at HOTMAIL.COM>
Date:         Wed, 16 Apr 2008 13:42:04
So now I'm not a language lover, but others are, and I detract from their
love.  Is that it?  SAMPA in 1987 addressed the problems with IPA notation
as did I.  I suppose they were not language lovers either.  XSAMPA addresses
the problems with SAMPA.  No love there?  Somebody here wrote about "Where
the worst English is spoken".  He must not be a language lover, either,
right?  Yet you do not address that.

I started truespel in 1987, the same year SAMPA started.  How old were you
then, 5 or 6; the great lecturer, just learning to read.  What have you done
in your young life that we should be impressed with.  Get off my case.