lawyer/liar confluence

Thu Apr 17 01:05:08 UTC 2008

And in a whole load of British dialects--Northumbrian, Border Scots
and Northern Scots informants with cynical views about the legal
professions made puns on this to me.  Mergers in the first two
places, near mergers based on vowel length in the third.  Funnily
enough, modern Swaledale does NOT have the merger.

Yours,
Paul Johnston