[?] Re: "flying fuck"

Barnhart barnhart at HIGHLANDS.COM
Fri Apr 18 15:26:46 UTC 2008

American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU> writes:

>There's so much on flying stuff at various things in HDAS I (s.v.
>"flying"s) that modesty forbids extensive quotation here.
Dear Jonathan,

I never meant to suggest that OED was the only to check.  Far from it.
There are easily a dozen sources one should be sure not to overlook--not
the least of which are HDAS and DARE. There's Montgomery and Hall (D. of
Smoky Mountain English), American Speech (online), as well as the standard
sources (include DA, DAE, Wentworth & Flexner, and the list goes on... and
on.... and on).

It's just that there are so many newbies around here and Jesse had made
what I perceived as a self-flagellatory remark about OED that I thought
I'd chime in.

Regards,
David

barnhart at highlands.com