Yahoo! and

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Sat Apr 19 05:18:52 UTC 2008

I don't remember, one way or the other, but I have his Band of
Renown's themesong, "Leap Frog," and other examples of his oeuvre on
my iPod. (My  spellchecker claims that "themesong" is two words, but
hasn't it been one word, at least since the birth of B.O. Plenty and
Gravel Gertie's daughter, Themesong, some time in the 'Forties?)

-Wilson

On Mon, Apr 14, 2008 at 8:35 AM, Paul <paulzjoh at mtnhome.com> wrote:
>  Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
>  Poster:       Paul <paulzjoh at MTNHOME.COM>
>  Subject:      Re: Yahoo! and
>
>  paul johnson wrote:
>  Wasn't Les Brown and his band of renown in there too?
>
>  sagehen wrote:
>  > on 4/13/08 10:31 PM, Wilson Gray at hwgray at GMAIL.COM wrote:
>  >
>  >
>  >> Has anyone else os sufficient maturity noticed the use of the phrase,
>  >> "lucky-strike extra," in a recent Yahoo! commercial. Back in the
>  >> 'Forties and early 'Fifties, Lucky Strike cigarettes sponsored a radio
>  >> and, later, a television show featuring the seven most popular songs
>  >> of the week. When a song out of the top seven was sung or played (Axel
>  >> Stordahl & The Lucky Strike Orchestra!), it was called a "Lucky Strike
>  >> extra."
>  >>
>  >> -Wilson
>  >> --
>  >> All say, "How hard it is that we have to die"---a strange complaint to
>  >> come from the mouths of people who have had to live.
>  >> -----
>  >> -Sam'l Clemens
>  >>
>  >> ------------------------------------------------------------
>  >> The American Dialect Society - http://www.americandialect.org
>  >>
>  >>
>  > ~~~~~~~~~~
>  > Was this a later version of the Hit Parade? Lucky Strike sponsored the Hit
>  > Parade in the late 30s & all through the war ("Lucky Strike green has gone
>  > to war!"),  but its format was somewhat different: ten top tunes, for one
>  > thing & I don't remember anything called "extra."  Beats me who led the
>  > orchestra.....could it have been Paul Whiteman?
>  > AM
>  >
>  > The American Dialect Society - http://www.americandialect.org
>  >