Origin of "hoopie"

Sat Apr 19 17:31:16 UTC 2008

And then Jon wrote:

> I read the book so long ago (1970?) that all I can recall is that the hero was
> named Mott and that he was a lunkhead.  It obviously didn't grab me, but it
> did contribute a few cites to HDAS.
>
>  This site refreshes my memory only slightly:
>
>  http://www.hunter-mott.com/books/mott_the_hoople.html

There's a searchable edition on Google Books:

http://books.google.com/books?id=WdsLHZfmDkwC

"Hoople" comes from Major Hoople, as Mott explains on p. 17:

-----
The story of my life, I was ready to admit. Every time the scenario
calls for derring-do, who appears but Major Hoople, of comic strip
fame. The fat, bumbling slob in "Our Boarding House." ... I had to
laugh and admit, "This is my destiny, to be a Hoople."
-----

--Ben Zimmer