The prejudice store

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Mon Apr 21 00:29:30 UTC 2008

I'm the next thing to absolutely certain that my friend meant "a store
whose staff is prejudiced" and not "a store where prejudice is one of
the products available for purchase."

In my childhood and youth, BE-speakers clearly said, e.g. "-assed" in
locutions like _big-assed  black-assed dumb-assed  shit(ty)-assed_,
etc. Nowadays, I hear and see written big-ass, etc. However, if I were
doing the writing, I would write _big-ass'  black-ass'_, etc., since I
still "hear" the deleted -ed. But that's just me. (Do white speakers
use that locution?)

_Prejudice'  bias'_ are pretty much the "standard" BE pronunciations
of _prejudiced  biased_, words that are more likely to be heard than
read. IMO, the examples below are illustrations of the consequences of
the same phenomenon of heard but not read among other speakers. But,
again, that's just me.

-Wilson

On Sun, Apr 20, 2008 at 5:31 PM, Joel S. Berson <Berson at att.net> wrote:
>  Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
>  Poster:       "Joel S. Berson" <Berson at ATT.NET>
>  Subject:      Re: The prejudice store
>
>  Yes, but isn't Wilson's example more like "the 'Prejudice'
>  Store"?  (Examples do not come to my mind of anything with a similar
>  adj/noun pair; only "The Apple Store" and the like with nouns.)
>
>  Joel
>
>  At 4/20/2008 01:36 PM, Arnold M. Zwicky wrote:
>  >On Apr 20, 2008, at 10:16 AM, Wilson Gray wrote:
>  >
>  >>I once went into a convenient[sic; this was back in the day; all such
>  >>stores now have changed their signs to read "convenience" store.]
>  >>store in Somerville, MA, wherein I was followed about by one of the
>  >>clerks. When I told this to a friend, she thereafter referred to the
>  >>place as "the _prejudice_ store." Since she was an sE speaker, I'm
>  >>fairly certain that it wasn't the phonological environment (alone)
>  >>that motivated her pronunciation.
>  >>
>  >>I think that this is the kind of thing that arnold has in mind.
>  >
>  >
>  >some examples (from a great many):
>  >
>  >Bush He's prejudice right?
>  >(http://wis.dm/questions/312305-bush-he-s-prejudice-right)
>  >
>  >He's prejudice against fat people, bald people, women, short people,
>  >etc.---some of the names he uses to describes some of these
>  >individuals is; ...
>  >www.commongroundcommonsense.org/forums/index.php?act=findpost&pid=37667
>  >
>  >Santa is flying all over the North Northeast and doesn't seem to want
>  >to come down Texas way. I guess he's prejudice against southerners. ...
>  >forums.qrz.com/archive/index.php/t-83137.html
>  >
>  >Why is that a prejudice notion? Is that all you have, he's prejudice?
>  >Come on, now go back to sending emails at LV PD. buh bye! ...
>  >www.topix.com/forum/news/immigration/TQLHL7GTHSQ034CH8
>  >
>  >
>  >
>  >I don't like Hannity, he's bias as hell I won't deny that, how could I
>  >haha. I don't see O'reily that way at all though. Now, can you be
>  >honest about ...
>  >www.soulcast.com/post/show/84379/And-You-Thought-Hannity-was-a-Journalist%3F
>  >
>  >21st January 2008, 19:32. Who cares if he's bias towards Hewitt he is
>  >commentating for an Australian only audience.
>  >www.bigfooty.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-409683.html
>  >
>  >It doesn't matter if he's bias or not...
>  >www.volnation.com/forum/tennessee-vols/26272-sec-s-best-player-joe-b.html
>  >
>  >After reading only a few pages, I lost my trust in his expertise, and
>  >identified a bias story.
> [...]

-----
 -Sam'l Clemens