IPA diphthongs

Herb Stahlke hfwstahlke at GMAIL.COM
Wed Apr 23 01:21:25 UTC 2008

I'll give it a try.  First, it might be useful to distinguish between a
diphthong and a vowel sequence.  American English "idea" has a vowel
sequence, and the last vowel, a schwa, is a separate syllable.  Southern
British "dear" has virtually the same sequence of vowel sounds, but it's one
syllable, and BE has falling diphthongs ending in /@/.  AmE r-ful varieties
don't.

When I teach phonetics, I make the same statement you had heard, that the
second element of the diphthong indicates direction of tongue movement
rather than endpoint, although this is a matter of degree and depends on
things like speech tempo and just where the second element is
articulatorily.  If the second element is a schwa or an /r/, then the tongue
is more likely to get pretty close to that position, simply because of where
it is.

Whether you transcribe the second element of a falling diphthong as /I, U/
or as /j, w/ is a matter of choice.  The difference between non-tonic /I,U/
and final /j, w/ is functional rather than formal.  They are for all
practical purposes the same sound, one used in a vocalic position and the
other in a consonant slot.  It just happens that we can notate them
differently depending on what we consider their function to be.  This is
more obvious with /r/, which has nearly the same position in the vowel space
as /@/.  We tend to think about it as a consonant, and it's hard sometimes
to convince a beginning student that it can also be a vowel.  As a vowel it
can be transcribed as schwar or as syllabic retroflex /r/.  I think most
people prefer the schwar, but for diphthongs /r/ gets used.

I can illustrate a number of features of AmE diphthongs from my SE Michigan
variety of Inland Northern.  I have a phonemic contrast between lowered and
raised /a-/ diphthongs.  In this particular case, the first element of the
diphthong will be either the inverted lower case print <a> or something
close to /@/.  They occur in their usual Canadian Raising environments, but
they contrast in open syllables and before /-nd/, so

/ha:I/ "elevated"
/h at I/ (greeting)
/ka:Ind/ "warm-hearted"
/k at Ind/ "variety"
/ba:U/ "front end of a boat"
/b at Uwa:U/ (sound a dog makes)
/ra:Und/ "circular, spherical"
/r at Und/ (preposition)

Notice that the raised diphthongs are shorter, as CR predicts, even though
they occur where CR would predict the lowered diphthong.

Similarly, I have

/ba:rd/ "banned" (preterit of  "bar")
/b at rd/ "poet"

I have quite a few minimal pairs like these, but what they all seem to have
in common is that the two forms always come from different lexical
categories.  Clearly it's a partial phonemic contrast since it doesn't occur
in all environments.

Back to whether to represent the second element with a vowel or glide for a
moment.   The choice depends on the point you want to make.  I tend to use
/I/ and /U/ for those diphthongs and /r/ for the /r/ diphthongs. If I'm
comparing Upper South and Lower North pronunciations of "drive," I'll use
the vowel variant so that I can more clearly demonstrate the lowering found
in the Upper South (and Lower South) diphthong.  Central Indiana speakers
have /draIv/ while Southern Indiana speakers have /draav/, where the vowel
quality is low central, not back.  I can't show that change as clearly if I
use the consonantal option.

What makes the /r/ diphthongs distinct from vowel + /r/ codas, at least in
my speech, is that they start with vowels that I have only in diphthongs.
/a/ (lower mid central) does not occur as a monophthong, and open <o> also
occurs only in the diphthongs /OI/ and /Or/ and never as a monophthong.
Where many varieties of AmE have monophthongal /O/, mine has the low back
rounded vowel.

Herb