"my Ghossips cock", 1641?

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Thu Apr 24 14:01:01 UTC 2008

Laurence Horn <laurence.horn at YALE.EDU> wrote:
  "(And makes them both instances of fowl language.)"

  Could it be...Poulterergeists?

  JL

  ---------------------- Information from the mail header

Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: Laurence Horn
Subject: Re: "my Ghossips cock", 1641?

At 8:50 PM -0400 4/23/08, Wilson Gray wrote:
>So, is "Pistol's cock is up" and similar phrases the source of BrE
>"cock-up," (roughly?) corresponding to AmE "fuck-up"?
>
>-Wilson

Doesn't look like it, given the OED's info--"cock(-)up" as particle
verb or nominal comes from the verb "cock", which in turn comes from
the fowl. Of course, "cock" 'penis' itself may come from the same
critter (paralleling the development of Ger. _hahn_), which makes the
two cock- formations cousins. (And makes them both instances of
fowl language.)

LH